This is a continuation of the Sluggy Archive Review. It's a chance for you to become familiar with Sluggy Freelance by going through the archives one week each day. You can start here.
Week 7: Engineers
So, now that Riff and Torg are the engineering crew, they're on their way to the dimensional rifts that will take them home. It's not clear how well Riff understands the technology (even a technological wizard would need some time to leap forward a few hundred years in technology), but Torg doesn't have a clue. Still, they can fake it fairly well. Unfortunately, they get sidetracked, and the Star Trek (with a little Star Wars) parody makes a head-on collision with Aliens. Some things I noticed:
1. So this Confederation dumps toxic waste into random dimensions? That's not very nice.
2. First Officer Brenas. The less said, the better.
3. I like the technobabble: "Gamma-Gozer rays" and "Stabalizorama" from Riff, and "Chocolate Doh-doh waves" from Torg.
4. Torg and Riff make inappropriate use of the ship's resources. How very like them!
5. "Space station 9-Bab-5" Obviously a hash of Deep Space 9 (a great show, IMO) and Babylon 5.
6. Saturday's is great: "Keep forgetting we're the engineers." "Beats being expendable."
7. And on Sunday, Star Trek meets Aliens. Apparently they aren't so tough in zero-G. My favorite exchange: "Have you tried communicating with them, Chief Riff?" "But Sir, they are ugly and really weird looking!" "Very well, continue firing." Star Trek meets Aliens indeed.
Please do not post spoilers, or speculation that looks like a spoiler, in the comments of this post. This has been cross-posted in the Sluggy Freelance forum for all your spoiler needs.